Perhaps more than other rooms, a kitchen is a functional room where the layout and items are all part of the purpose of preparing food. From the fridge-sink-counter triangle, which anchors the room around an appliance, onwards, the kitchen is a practical space.
But that doesn’t mean it is without style. As the heart of the home, and the trend for more open plan livings making kitchens so much more than just cooking rooms, the kitchen can be dressed up in so many ways with clever touches and stylish appliances to give it that designer feel.
If you are looking for ideas to make sure that your kitchen is the room that you and your guests will love spending time in, take a look at some of our tips below and some of our lovingly curated designer kitchen accessories!
Far from the stale and pale “white goods” of old, modern kitchen appliances come in a wide range of colours and styles. From space-age dishwashers by brands like Neff and even Hotpoint that come from the cutting edge of sleek design, to retro fridges and microwaves with sleek curves from brands like Smeg or, at the more affordable end, Swan.
One of the most important investments is an oven. If you are the sort of host who enjoys regular dinner parties, then a duel-fuel oven offers both the precision of an electric oven with the versatility of a gas range hob. They also provide a high level of style that ensures that is a gorgeous centre piece of any kitchen, with Rangemaster at the forefront for nostalgic styling.
In your kitchen the smaller counter-top items items should all complement each other and be both aesthetically pleasing and practical, while being infused with a luxurious feel. Investing in high-end items such as designer toasters and bean-to-cup coffee machines will assist in making sure that your kitchen stands out but remember to purchase colours that work well together and don’t clash – the Bugatti range of each are superb and come in a range of bright and neutral shades.
Kitchen Decorations & The Perfect Blend of Colour
Colour is one of the most effective ways to update a kitchen. By paying close attention to the colours of your appliances, designer kitchen accessories and walls, you can create a dazzling space. Start by considering the following:
- There is likely to be a colour that you cannot change unless you are completely renovating your kitchen, this is likely to be existing colour of your sideboards or kitchen cabinets.
- Choose a second colour that is neutral and that works well with the above colour and use this for your walls – this will essentially be the backdrop of your kitchen.
- Make your kitchen unique with a third, standout colour that is bold and somewhat unexpected. This should be the colour you choose for your kitchen accessories and can be carried through your designer tableware, especially if you have a kitchen-diner with a central table.
- If you have space, invest in a captivating piece of wall art that incorporates this standout colour to grab of the attention of those who enter for the first time.
- Finish off with floating shelving covered with decorative accessories of your choosing, whether they be candles, or perhaps vases filled with complementary stick or flower arrangements.
What, no cuppa? Don’t worry, we haven’t forgotten about the humble kettle! Check out our stylists’ pick of cool and unusual kettles.